What Do I Need To Get Ready To File My US Expat Taxes?
It’s as simple as a punchlist, really. If you are able to gather the following documents then you’re well on your way to way to getting your taxes done both easily and accurately. The list is as follows –
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Social Security Numbers for yourself and your spouse if applicable.
- Social Security Numbers for your dependents if applicable.
- Forms W-2 from all of your employers
- Forms 1099 showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- All receipts pertaining to your small business sole proprietorship if applicable
- Forms 1099-DIV and Forms 1099-R
- Income receipts from rental, real estate, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
- Unemployment compensation
- Social Security benefits
This list is not exhaustive and perhaps does not cover everything, but it does cover most of the necessary documents you will need. Once you engage Bright!Tax to complete your American expatriate tax return, your Bright!Tax CPA will be able to advise you and strategize with you to make sure you’re getting the best and most accurate return possible while remaining absolutely compliant. Contact Bright!Tax if you wish to receive more details.