US Expat Taxes for Americans Living in Pakistan – What You Need to Know

expat filing taxes in pakistan

It has been estimated that there are several thousand Americans living in Pakistan.

Living in Pakistan is an incredible experience for a number of reasons, including the local hospitaity, the history and culture, the countryside and wildlife, and the exotic cuisine. As an American expatriate living in Pakistan though, what exactly do you need to know regarding filing US expat (and Pakistani) taxes?

All US citizens and green card holders who earn a minimum of around $10,000 (or just $400 for self-employed individuals) anywhere in the world are required to file a US federal tax return and pay taxes to the IRS, regardless of where in the world they live or their income is generated.

The good news is if you are paying income tax in Pakistan, there are various exclusions and exemptions available to prevent you paying tax on the same income to the IRS too.

US taxes – what you need to know

If you earn over US$10,000 (or just $400 of self-employment income), wherever the income originates in the world you have to file IRS form 1040. While any US taxes due are still due by April 15th, expats get an automatic filing extension until June 15th, which can be extended further on request until October 15th.

If you have overseas assets worth over US$200,000 per person, excluding your home if it is owned in your own name, you also have to file form 8938 to declare them.

If you had a total of at least US$10,000 in one or more foreign bank and/or investment accounts at any time during the tax year, you also have to file FinCEN form 114, otherwise known as a Foreign Bank Account Report or FBAR.

If you pay income tax in Pakistan, there are several exemptions that allow you to pay less or no US income tax on the same income to the IRS.

“A person is resident in Pakistan for income tax purposes if present in Pakistan for a period or periods aggregating to 183 days or more in a tax year (1 July through 30 June) irrespective of their nationality.”
– PricewaterhouseCoopers

The main exemptions are the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which lets you exclude the first around US$100,000 of foreign earned income from US tax if you can prove that you are a Pakistani resident, and the Foreign Tax Credit, which gives you a $1 tax credit for every dollar of tax you’ve paid in Pakistan. These exemptions can be combined if necessary. Remember though that even if you don’t owe any tax to the IRS, if your income is over US$10,000 (or $400 if you’re self-employed) you still have to file a federal return.

The US and Pakistani governments share taxpayer info, and Pakistani banks pass on US account holders’ account info to the IRS, so it’s not worth not filing or omitting anything on your return. The penalties for incorrect or incomplete filing for expats are steep to say the least.

f you’re a US citizen, green card holder, or US/Pakistani dual citizen, and you have been living in Pakistan but you didn’t know you had to file a US tax return, don’t worry: there’s a program called the IRS Streamlined Procedure that allows you to catch up on your filing without paying any penalties. Don’t delay though, in case the IRS comes to you first.

Pakistani taxes – what you need to know

Pakistani residents are taxed on their worldwide income on a scale of 0% to 35%. Non-residents are solely taxed on their income sourced in Pakistan.

Foreigners living in Pakistan are considered a resident for tax purposes if they spend over 183 days in Pakistan in a tax year, or 120 days in tax year and a total of 365 days in the preceding four tax years..

The Pakistani tax year runs from July 1st through June 30th. If your only source of income is from employment in Pakistan, your income will be taxed at source and you won’t have to file a tax return. Otherwise, tax returns are due by September 30th. The Pakistani tax authority is called the Federal Board of Revenue.

We strongly recommend that if you have any doubts or questions about your tax situation as a US expat living in Pakistan that you contact a US expat tax specialist.

Insight meets inbox

Quarterly insights and articles directly to your email inbox. Our newsletter offers substance (over spam). We promise.