US Expat Taxes for Americans Living in Belgium – What You Need to Know

expat filing taxes in belgium

It has been estimated that there are several thousand Americans living in Belgium.

Living in Belgium is an incredible experience for a number of reasons, including the friendly locals, the delicious food, the work-life balance, not to mention having the rest of Europe on your doorstep. As an American expatriate living in Belgium though, what exactly do you need to know regarding filing US expat (and Belgian) taxes?

All US citizens and green card holders who earn a minimum of around $10,000 (or just $400 for self-employed individuals) anywhere in the world are required to file a US federal tax return and pay taxes to the IRS, regardless of where in the world they live or their income is generated.

The good news is if you are paying income tax in Belgium, there are various exclusions and exemptions available to prevent you paying tax on the same income to the IRS too.

US taxes – what you need to know

If you earn over US$10,000 (or just $400 of self-employment income), wherever the income originates in the world you have to file IRS form 1040.

While any US taxes due are still due by April 15th, expats get an automatic filing extension until June 15th, which can be extended further on request until October 15th.

If you have overseas assets worth over US$200,000 per person, excluding your home if it is owned in your own name, you also have to file form 8938 to declare them.

If you had a total of at least US$10,000 in one or more foreign bank and/or investment accounts at any time during the tax year, you also have to file FinCEN form 114, otherwise known as a Foreign Bank Account Report or FBAR.

“Persons who are married or legally living together are required to file their tax return jointly except for the year of marriage, year of declaration of legal cohabitation, or if they are living separately.”

If you pay income tax in Belgium, there are several exemptions that allow you to pay less or no US income tax on the same income to the IRS. The main one is the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which lets you exclude the first around US$100,000 of foreign earned income from US tax if you can prove that you are a Belgian resident, and the Foreign Tax Credit, which gives you a $1 tax credit for every dollar of tax you’ve paid in Belgium. These exemptions can be combined if necessary. Remember though that even if you don’t owe any tax to the IRS, if your income is over US$10,000 (or $400 if you’re self-employed) you still have to file a federal return.

The US and Belgian governments share taxpayer info, and Belgian banks pass on US account holders’ account info to the IRS, so it’s not worth not filing or omitting anything on your return. The penalties for incorrect or incomplete filing for expats are steep to say the least.

If you’re a US citizen, green card holder, or US/Belgian dual citizen, and you have been living in Belgium but you didn’t know you had to file a US tax return, don’t worry: there’s a program called the IRS Streamlined Procedure that allows you to catch up on your filing without paying any penalties. Don’t delay though, in case the IRS comes to you first.

Belgian taxes – what you need to know

Belgian residents are taxed on their worldwide income on a scale from 25% to 50%. There is also a local income tax of around 7% of income tax due.

Foreigners living in Belgium are considered a resident for tax purposes if their main family home or the center of their economic activity or interests is in Belgium.

The Belgian tax year is the same as the US, which is to say the calendar year. If you’re employed by a Belgian firm, they will deduct tax at source before paying you. Tax returns are due by June 30th. The Belgian tax authority is called the Federal Public Service.

We strongly recommend that if you have any doubts or questions about your tax situation as a US expat living in Belgium that you contact a US expat tax specialist.

Register now, and your Bright!Tax CPA will be in touch right away to guide you through the next steps.

Tax Preparation winner banner for expats