US Taxes for American Expats in Tokyo – Everything You Need to Know

expat filing taxes in tokyo

Japan is one of the most popular Asian destinations for US expats, with tens of thousands of Americans living there.

Tokyo is a thrilling place to live. Its exotic, unique, modern meets traditional culture, its frenetic pace, the cuisine, and the incredible orderliness for such a big, crowded city all guarantee American expats in Tokyo enjoy an unforgettable experience.

The only downside is that US expats in Tokyo are required to file both US taxes as a US citizen, and Japanese taxes as a Japanese resident.

Filing both tax returns needn’t be as complicated as many American expats living in Tokyo at first think however. Most in fact end up not owing the IRS anything, although they still have to file.

Japanese taxes in brief

For expats whose only income is from employment in Japan, Japanese income tax is deducted at source and there’s no need to file a Japanese tax return. That said, for many people it’s still worth filing a Japanese tax return, as by claiming one or more of the available allowances expats can often claim a refund.

The Japanese tax year is the same as the US, Jan 1st to December 31st. Japanese tax returns are due by March 15th.

Japanese tax returns are filed to the Japanese equivalent of the IRS, which is called the National Tax Agency.

Japanese income tax rates range from 5% to 45%. There is also an inhabitant tax payable in the city of Tokyo which is normally 10% of income.

US taxes for expats living in Tokyo

Expats have an automatic extension until June 15th to file their US tax return, with a further extension available upon request until October 15th. Any tax owed is still due by April 15th though.

“For those who work for a company or are self-employed in Japan, the main tax breaks are the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) and foreign tax credits.”
– The Japan Times

While it’s always necessary to file, there are several exclusions that expats can claim that will reduce most expats’ US taxes payable to zero.

For many expats living and working in Tokyo who pay more in Japanese income tax than the US tax they owe, it’s often most beneficial to claim the Foreign Tax Credit.

The Foreign Tax Credit gives US expats a $1 tax credit for every US dollar equivalent of tax that they’ve paid abroad. For expats in Tokyo paying more Japanese tax than they owe to the IRS, this means that they can claim more US tax credits than the US tax that they owe, eradicating their US tax liability while giving them excess US tax credits that they can use in the future. Expats can claim the Foreign Tax Credit by filing form 1116.

For US expats earning less than around $100,000 and paying less Japanese tax than the US tax due, the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is often a better option.

The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion lets expats who can prove that they are either permanently resident in Japan, or that they spent at least 330 days outside the US in the tax year, exclude the first around $100,000 of their income from US taxes.

The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion can be claimed by filing form 2555.

Further US filing requirements for expats in Tokyo

As well as filing a federal tax return, US expats in Tokyo who have more than $10,000 in total in foreign bank or investment accounts at any time during the tax year are required to file an FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Report). In practice, filing an FBAR means filing FinCEN form 114 online before October 15th.

Because FBARs are filed to FinCEN rather than to the IRS, the penalties for not filing are much higher, so it’s important not to neglect FBAR filing, especially as almost all foreign banks and investment firms now provide the IRS with information about their US account holders directly, including balances.

Expats living in Tokyo with financial foreign assets (but not tangible physical assets such as property, or cars for example) worth over $200,000 at any time during the tax year are also required to report them by filing FATCA (The Foreign Asset Tax Compliance Act) form 8938 with their federal return.

Expats living in Tokyo who need to catch up with their US tax filing

Expats who have been living in Tokyo for a while but who didn’t know that they have to file US taxes can catch up with their US tax filing using an IRS amnesty program that allows them to avoid facing any penalties.

The program is called the Streamlined Procedure, and to qualify expats must file their last 3 tax returns, their last 6 FBARS (if required), pay any back taxes that they may owe (often none, once they’ve claimed the most beneficial exclusions given their circumstances), and self-certify that their previous failure to file was non-willful, so not willful avoidance.

The Streamlined Procedure is a great opportunity for expats living in Tokyo who are behind with their US tax filing to become fully compliant before the IRS writes to them, at which point they will be liable to pay back taxes and fines.

Insight meets inbox

Quarterly insights and articles directly to your email inbox. Our newsletter offers substance (over spam). We promise.