IRS Tax Forms For US Expats

US Expat Tax Forms

Because the US taxes based on citizenship, all Americans, including expats, are required to file a federal tax return each year, reporting their worldwide income. Expats often also have to file additional IRS forms, to avoid double taxation.

IRS Tax Forms for Expats

Expats may also have to file IRS tax forms relating to any foreign bank and investment accounts they may have, as well as reporting their foreign financial assets and foreign registered businesses.

Taxes for US Expats – Filing Form 1040 From Abroad

expat filing form 1040 abroad

If you’re an American citizen or green card holder, you’re required to file US taxes wherever in the world you live, reporting your worldwide income. The US is almost the only country in the world that requires all of its citizens to file even if they live abroad. This means that US expats often have […]

Form 8854 Requirement When Renouncing US Citizenship

Form 8854 Requirement for Renouncing US Citizenship

When you’ve settled in a foreign country and built a life there, the question of whether retaining your US citizenship is worthwhile may arise. This is due to the fact that the IRS taxes citizens and Green Card holders on their global income, which often results in filing daunting expat returns year after year. Moreover, […]

Form 3520 – Reporting Foreign Offshore Trusts for US Expats

expat filing form 3520

Americans living abroad are still subject to US tax filing requirements on their worldwide income. There are also further US filing requirements just for expats, including having to report foreign bank and investment accounts if the expat’s combined balances exceed $10,000 at any time during the year, and reporting foreign financial assets on form 8938. […]

IRS Form 5472 – What US Expats Need to Know

expat filing form 5472

IRS form 5472 is a US filing requirement that affects some Americans living abroad who own or part-own corporations. Form 5472 must be filed by US-registered corporations that are 25% or more owned by a foreigner, and foreign corporations that trade in the US, that make any ‘reportable transactions’ during the filing period. A ‘reportable […]

IRS Form 8833 – What Expats Need to Know

expat filing form 8833

Living abroad is for some people a temporary endeavor while for others it is a lifetime adventure, however in all cases – while we’re still US citizens or green card holders – we are liable to pay US federal taxes, and in some cases, state taxes too. To help prevent double taxation, paying tax on […]