US Expat Tax Forms

Because the US taxes based on citizenship, all Americans, including expats, are required to file a federal tax return each year, reporting their worldwide income. Expats often also have to file additional IRS forms, to avoid double taxation.

IRS Tax Forms for Expats

Expats may also have to file IRS tax forms relating to any foreign bank and investment accounts they may have, as well as reporting their foreign financial assets and foreign registered businesses.

IRS Tax Forms For US Expats – Everything You Need to Know

expats filing irs tax forms

Americans living abroad are required to continue filing a U.S. federal tax return, reporting their worldwide income. To avoid having to pay U.S. taxes, expats must claim one or more exemptions that the IRS has made available for them, such as the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and the Foreign Tax Credit by filing additional forms. […]

Form 8865 for Expats with a Foreign Partnership

expat filing form 8865

The US requires expats to file US taxes from abroad, reporting their worldwide income. To avoid double taxation (expats paying taxes on the same income to both the US and in the country where they live), the IRS offers a number of exemptions that expats can claim when they file, including the Foreign Tax Credit […]

Taxes for US Expats – How to File an FBAR (FinCEN Form 114)

expat filing fbar

American citizens and green card holders are required to continue filing US taxes, reporting their worldwide income, after they relocate abroad. This is because the US taxes based on citizenship, rather than on residence like most other countries.   When they file, expats can claim one or more exemptions such as the Foreign Tax Credit […]

New IRS Form 1040 – What US Expats Need to Know

new irs form 1040 for expats

When campaigning, Donald Trump promised not just to lower taxes, but also to simplify the tax filing process. Last week, the IRS released the draft of a new form 1040 for consultation over the summer, with the final version due to be confirmed in the Autumn. In this article we look at what the changes […]

Taxes for US Expats – Filing Form 1040 From Abroad

expat filing form 1040 abroad

If you’re an American citizen or green card holder, you’re required to file US taxes wherever in the world you live, reporting your worldwide income. The US is almost the only country in the world that requires all of its citizens to file even if they live abroad. This means that US expats often have […]

Filing Form 5471 – Foreign Corporations Reporting for US Expats

expat filing form 5471

Expats are often adventurous and independent-minded – the same character traits that make great entrepreneurs. So it’s no surprise really that many expats choose to start their own business abroad. The first choices that expats face when starting a foreign company is what legal structure their new foreign entity should have, and where to register […]